CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

More research...

So, I have a time for the surgery next week.  Eleven am!  Seriously?  Seriously!  Um, do they realize I can't have coffee that morning? Um, will someone please be on the lookout for my husband?  I'm pretty sure he is going to find a way to disappear for a while...and will come back with coffee breath!!!

Yeah, I know.  It is the only time he ever cheats on me... Every time I have surgery or something that means I can't have anything to eat or drink in the am, he picks that morning to be super hungry!  He usually waits until I go in before he goes to get a BIG breakfast and several cups of coffee...but with it not being until 11:00, he may just disappear for a while!

I have actually been feeling pretty good these past couple of days.  I managed to get 2 more t shirts finished yesterday.  Still have a gazillion more to go, but I think I have it figured out how to get them all finished before it is time to go.  If I can average one a day, I will have plenty of time!  So, I just need to double up on a couple of days (like 14 or so) and I should be able to make up for the 2 weeks I won't be able to get anything done.

Yes, I said 2 weeks.  I think I should be able to get back to sewing after a couple of weeks.  Not for long periods of time, but at least long enough to get a shirt done a day.  I know it will help me stay sane (ish). The only concern I have is the stairs.  Once I master that, there will be no stopping me.

Ok, now to the title of my post.  Research.  I have done so much research on the upcoming surgery my head is spinning.  I found a website that lets you post your thoughts, concerns, questions, etc about your experience with this type of surgery.  It was very SCARY!!!!  If it could go wrong, these people have had it happen to them.  They are very bitter.  Very Bittier!  They cannot imagine anyone coming out of the surgery fine. So much so, that when someone posts about a successful surgery, some accuse them of lieing!

Now, I know that the odds are that this type of surgery is 97% effective on my type of problem.  I know that there is a chance that all the problems (pain and numbness) may not go away because the current nerve damage may be too bad and permanent.  I know that this surgery is designed to prevent future damage and problems, and that it could actually make the problems worse.  (of course that is a very very small chance.) I'm not going in expecting a miracle, but I am hoping for the best possible outcome.

I personally think 97% is pretty good odds.  There are millions of these types of surgeries done all the time.  My surgeon has done hundreds of thousands over the years.  But if you go by the percentage of people that actually post, it is more like a success rate of less than one percent!  I realize that when people have a good outcome they are less than likely to go to a site to post that.  Most people use this type of site as a place to ask questions, and to complain (look for sympathy) when things go wrong.  However, before this site became THAT type of place, it was full of useful information.

So, I am thinking of posting my daily thoughts after the surgery here.  I would love to be able to come back later and see what type of feeling I was having then...and to see what my perception of recovery was at the time it was happening.  So, for those who are not interested in that information, sorry.  I might decide to put all these posts in a different blog.  Guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel about things next week!

I have my pre-op hospital info round to go today.  Last time I had one of these, it lasted about 30 minutes...they are telling me to expect a minimum of THREE hours for this one.should be interesting!



Nini

No comments: