CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, August 28, 2009

Sewing Machine Feet

To all the newbies sewing here, I just want to offer a bit of advice...before you spend money buying NEW feet for your machine, check very carefully at the feet that were included with your machine!

I had decided I needed an edge stitching foot to get the nice even, straight stitching along the edges, and for my top stitching. (Thanks to Lisa for the tip about lengthening the stitches). Then I decided I wanted an overcast foot so I could use the overcast stitches that were included in my machine to cut out the step of zig zaging over my seams.

After lots and lots of tireless research, I picked up my manual...I seems an overcast foot was supposed to be with my machine! After checking it out, I found out that my overcast foot looks EXACTLY like the edge stitching foot! Yup...all this time I have had what I was searching for, right in my sewing drawer!

Then I discovered...strange as this may sound...that there is a reason they make different feet! Each foot is made for a specific job, and more importantly, THE WORK!!! I mean, I know the ruffler was great at ruffling, and the button holer worked perfectly at button hole-ing (as long as you try to use the one that came with YOUR NEW machine and not try to use the one for the OLD machine...long embarrassing story),the even feed foot worked perfectly at evenly feeding the fabric into the machine, and who would ever try to put on a zipper without a zipper foot? (well, me, but again another long embarrassing story)

But who would have EVER thought that other feet actually was the best tool for their respective job????

Morale of the story, if your machine came with more than one foot, don't, I repeat DON'T just put the feet back in the plastic bag and hide them in a drawer...you may actually need them!


OK, now back to trying to decide on a princess sun dress for the girls to wear. This SHOULD be my last dress for the trip...after all I only have 22 days left!


Nini

No comments: