CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Happy Birthday Tasha!

I made Tasha a cute Bible cover for her birthday.   Well, actually I made 4 Bible covers for Tasha’s Birthday.  See, the first one was made using the online measurements.  The Bible was still out getting her name put on it.  I made it, using those measurements, but not able to ‘fit’ it, was basically flying blind.

Amanda brought it over on Friday evening, and the cover was so much too big, that it wouldn’t even hold it in.  Amanda left the Bible with me and I went off on to take 2. 

I was going to use the fabric from Alyssa’s baby stuff, and add a bit of stiffening to it.  The finished product had been cute, but seemed way too flimsy to me, and I didn’t like having the ‘wrong’ side of the fabric showing if the Bible wasn’t in the cover.  I added two more sheets of rigid interfacing and took off a half inch on each measurement.  Take 2 was too small.

By now I had decided it was time to forget it until the morning.  I thought about it all night.  Take 3 was going to have batting instead of the rigid interfacing on two sides, but keeping the rigid interfacing on the third side. (or flap) I would have to add the half inch back in, to take up some of the slack that the batting would now have.

Bright and early Saturday morning (7am) I went down to the studio with a cup of coffee in hand to work out the details.  Take three fit…but the pockets were in the wrong place. By now, I was just about out of the print fabric, so I had to make the pint run cross wise instead of length wise.

On Take 4, I managed to get the pockets in the right place, the batting worked perfect, and the fit was perfect!  Voila!

However, the next time I make it I will make the back flap a little wider so I can make a more finished seam.  (I REALLY don’t like having those unfinished seams shining in my face!)

No comments: