CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Well, I see I neglected to say anything about a nasty fall last week..Partly because I feel very stupid about how it happened and partly because nothing was broken...just a few bruises and sprains.

Because of that fall, I have been neglecting my sewing.  I have managed to help my wonderful daughter in law finish up a few items she is going to sell, but nothing of my own.  Well, yesterday that changed.  I sewed!

First, you have to know to know that I like projects I can finish up quickly.  The dresses I made last year for Disney took less than a day to complete.  Some of them only an hour to complete.  I can make an A-Line in less than an hour, a Simply Sweet in 2 (only because of the gathers...I hate gathers!).  I finally went down on Monday morning with the intention of setting up my studio a bit better, straightening up a bit (Thanks Tasha!) and maybe working a bit.

I finished drafting out the pattern for the modified Stripwork Jumper I am using for the dress the girls will wear at Disney Hollywood Studios...took a bit longer than I expected.  Then I decided to cut out the dress panels I was going to applique on.  Then I decided I would take a couple of minutes to actually do the applique.  COUPLE of MINUTES!!!

I want these dresses to be perfect, so I might be just a tad bit obsessive.  But I found that making a dress around the applique required a ton more planning than just adding an applique to a dress!  Up to now, all the applique/embroidery I have done on clothes is almost like an afterthought.  I have a design that would look cute here...or wouldn't that look cute on a t-shirt.  This is the first time I have decided to make a dress based on the designs I could find.

Two days later, I have 3 of the 4 panels finished.  I'm guessing another day to get the last panel finished and get the skirt sewn together.  Then I have to cut and applique the bodice; then put it all together....of course I'm thinking of adding a ruffle which will take a bit more time.

I will never again think that those people that spend upwards of $200 on a custom dress with applique and embroidery as strange or extravagant!  It would be worth every penny!


Now, back to sewing!

Nini

PS...Heather Sue, I have not forgotten you.  I will try to get to that for you today!

No comments: