CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

T Shirt problems

So...yesterday, before I went to Joann's I was working on a cute Ariel T Shirt for me.  The design has Ariel in silhouette against a big sun sitting on a rock.  I had a cute stripe fabric to use for the sun  and a cute black swirl to use for Ariel.  I, the embroidery nerd who likes to watch each and every stitch coming out of the machine, decided to walk a half step away from the machine while it was finishing up...really it was halfway thorugh the last step!  I guess you know what happened next!

Yup a big ole mess happened in my bobbin and I had to cut the shirt out of the machine.  The mess wasn't too bad and I was able to rethread and fix my issues without too much fuss...and the shirt only came un hooped on one corner.  I felt I was really fortunate and continued to finish the shirt.  I checked and rechecked the placement, and then checked again.  Placement seemed fine, so I let it stitch.  For the first few minutes it looked fine...then I discovered it was off by a fraction of an inch.  I mean it was off less than 1/8 of an inch!  How small of an imperfection is that!

At this point there is not much I can do, so I let it continue its merry way.  Now, look at what I have to work with:

See all that yellow inside the black satin stitch?  That is NOT supposed to be there!

So, I spent the next hour picking out the yellow stitches.  Then, while at Joann's, I picked up some fabric markers to try and hide the remaining imperfections.  Luckily, they were half price, so I didn't spend too much money!  I bought a pack of four...and all of them EXCEPT THE BLACK worked fine.  The black was completely DRY!

Thanks to the advice of a very talented embroiderer, Lisa, I tried some black paint on a toothpick and some fray check where the fabric didn't get properly attached.  I then trimmed a bit of the fabric that was outside the satin stitching...

Final product?  If you are standing at least 10 feet away it looks ok.  But, if someone is standing next to me, not so good!  I really love this design and can't stand the thought of it being out in public in a less than perfect showing...so I think I will end up using this shirt to paint in and just getting a new shirt and starting from scratch.  I know it will be cheaper and a lot less time consuming!

Now, back to sewing....

Nini

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Uggg I feel your pain...I hate when this happens...well, I agree...sometimes you just need to start over!