CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lap Quilts

I am in the need of inspiration for making my friend a lap robe.  She is having her surgery today, and although we will pray for the best possible outcome, we know that she will be in a wheelchair for a good deal of her recovery.

I have some cute LadyBug squares that I purchased a year or so ago from that auction site.  When I got them, they were cute, but not exactly what I was looking for...truthfully I don't even remember what I was going to use them for!  I used one of the squares last weekend to make a book bag for Amanda's Kindel, but still have several left over.

Since Miss Kristy was in the same social club as Amanda, she has the same love of LadyBugs so it seemed natural.

I've been doing research on lap quilts and lap robes today, and most of what I have found are very institutional and well, ugly!  They are made like an apron.  Not very stylish.  I'll concede that they may be functional.

My thoughts have turned to something she can use later, like on the back of the sofa.  I'm thinking along the lines of a rectangle, with a lady bug in each corner and four more dispersed through out the quilt.  I'm thinking of using some of the red and black scraps from Michael's Christmas quilt (I can say that here...he doesn't even KNOW I have a blog!).  I just have to work out some of the details (like the fabric strips are too narrow to work with the pattern I had in mind).

I also want to make her an encouragement quilt.  This will be along the lines of an autograph quilt, but people will be encouraged to put words of encouragement on it as well as their name.  Nothing sad, just uplifting sayings, thoughts, scriptures.  I think this will wait until after the holidays.  I want to give the family time to heal a bit and get over the initial loss of their dear little angel.

So, on the agenda today is

  • drafting a pattern for  the lap robe/quilt.  
  • making a grocery shopping list that I can stick to
  • buying and decorating our Christmas Tree
  • taking Mr D to TWO therapy appointments
  • Finding time to work on the teacher's Christmas gifts
  • and, most importantly, praying for Kristy's surgery and recovery.

Nini

No comments: