CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Businesss?

Well, it looks like my daughter is going to drag me kicking and screaming into actually having a business!  LOL

Actually, if you have read some of my early posts, I really want to have a business, but I just worry that my stuff isn't up tot he expectations of the buyers.  My quilting is good enough for the every day utilitarian quilts, but not for the beautiful stuff that people will pay for.  Now that I have the embroidery machine, I feel more confident about my abilities to embroider.  (or maybe it is just so addictive that I THINK I'm doing better than I really am!)

Another problem I have is trying to decide what to charge.  I usually end up giving my stuff away, simply because I'm afraid I will charge too much.  I mean I know what my costs are associated with something (more or less) but what is my time really worth?  I mean sometimes, just getting into the studio for an hour or so is so therapeutic, how could I possibly charge for that!

So, Amanda is doing all kinds of research on things I could make (that won't take as long as a quilt) and that people are buying.She has come up with a list of some 20 or 30 things.  Of these I'm positive that several are good 'fits' for me, but I am still so insecure about it....

Well, on to the updates on what I have been doing.  I'm currently working on some Easter Baskets for the kids.  I've finished Mr D's.  I'm not 100% happy with the way it turned out.  It is extremely cute, just the construction methods I used are not what I wanted.  I know that the next one will be made a little differently.  I just need to decide if I should remake his the way I am going to make the others.... I might if I have the time.

I've also finished a set of PICC covers for a very special little girl.  I really like the way they turned out (for the most part)  It is actually this that made my daughter decide I need to start making things as a business!  There really seems to be a market for these items, but not so much of a supply.  We'll see...

I also made a set of darling burp cloths.  Once I decided how I was going to make them they turned out great... but I was so indecisive on how to make them it took me forever to decide.  I think I made about a zillion prototypes before I finally decided on what I wanted to do.

We are talking about BURP cloths here...not rocket science!  And I ended up with...are you ready...plain rectangles!  How hard was that!  Sheesh...

Seems like the ideas I have in my head don't always come out the way I want them to...

Now, it seems my other daughter, Miss B, wants to learn to design clothes.  I guess I get to find some design classes somehow...not really sure what to look for or even how to find them for a 9 year old.  But I really want to encourage anything creative in her that I can.  I don't think I did a very good job of doing that with the older kids, and I know that only my grandmother encouraged me in anything creative, so I really want to work on that..............

Well, enough rambling for today...

Nini

No comments: