CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 23, 2009

I love it when things work out!

I love it when things go my way!!!

We were able to snag a great deal on a used (read ancient almost) sewing machine a few weeks ago at a garage sale. It included a sewing cabinet and chair. The cabinet alone was worth the money they were asking.

It was one of those old Kenmore that used the cam system for embroidery. Many years ago I had one almost exactly like it! I loved that machine. It was a work horse. Right up until the time one of my Brownies 'helped' me load it into my car and dropped it onto a concrete floor! The shaft bent. It was basically un fixable. Since then I have gone through sewing machines about once a year.

When we bought this one, the woman told us it was her mother's, and was used constantly for years, but now there was a problem with the bottom tension and they had tried to 'fix' it but only made it worse. I opened it up, and saw there was a major problem with the bobbin, but loved the cabinet and we loaded it up and took it to its new home.

I really didn't expect to get it running, but knew the cabinet would make a nice addition to my sewing studio. I had hoped my machine would fit, but it didn't....but it did make a nice sewing surface next to my machine.

I checked out the machine to see what I could do to it and discovered the entire bobbin assembly was a wreck. In their attempt to 'fix' it they had lost a screw and a piece of plastic inside. No wonder it had terrible tension! Half the case was missing!

A quick search online and I found the part I needed to fix it...and discovered the ebay seller was only a few miles from me in Athens! I checked their bricks and mortar store to find out they did have my part in stock.

Yesterday we made a trip to Athens and I got my wonderful bobbin assembly! It was soooo pretty! Popped it in the machine, loaded the machine into the cabinet, plugged up the power and let her rip! It hummed and purred just like I remembered it...and had absolutely P E R F E C T stitches! I love the stitch quality of that machine.

My new machine is loud and sounds like a jet about to take off. It sews great, but I'm not happy with the sound. I remember my grandmother sewing until the late hours...I can't imagine my grandfather letting her make as much noise as my machine makes! Now with this machine...no one would even know if I was sewing at all hours of the night! The sound actually brought back some happy memories of my grandmother!

This 'new' Kenmore is supposed to be Brianna's machine...but I'm very selfish and want it myself. I think we will have to share!

Have a great day...

Nini

No comments: