CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 16, 2011

It is clean! And there is a FLOOR!

Miss B is somewhat of a hoarder.  We have had a real time of it getting her to keep a fire code violation free bedroom.  I came up with a new plan and some strategies from Mr D's therapist.

For Christmas, we were going to redo her room.  She got to chooses the colors, fabrics, everything except the furniture (which is barely a year old and she chose that)

For the past 2 weeks we have been painting her room.  I used to paint a room that size in less than a day, but I have discovered my neck is not as happy painting as it used to be.  I have been working around the junk and the stuff and well, the garbage as I went from wall to wall to paint.

Yesterday, we bit the bullet, finished up the painting (except for some touch ups that will happen today after church services), and started tackling her room.  An hour later, her room was semi-clean.  The only left was her closet.  So, we made a deal...if she got her closet finished before dinner was ready, I would fix them hot chocolate to drink...

I'm not sure how hot chocolate was such a big motivator, but it was.  It took her less than 45 minutes to find her closet floor, and to get it VACUUMED!!  A total of 4 garbage bags came out.

She is now allowed one plastic bin to keep all her treasures in.  Nothing more.  If it doesn't fit in her treasure box, then it goes out.  If she wants to keep more, then something in there has to go out.  We have been working up to the treasure box for the past month, and she really seems to have taken to the idea.    I am really surprised at how well it has worked!

Now, in February I will have the floor guy come in and put down her new hardwood floors. I already have the bedspread and shams, and have the pattern to make her some really cool pillows.  We are going looking at fabric for curtains today or tomorrow.

I think it is really coming together.

And most importantly, she is super uber proud of herself for doing it.

Nini

1 comment:

AmandaDickens said...

She is growing up into a wonderful young lady and having responsibility with an awesome reward is encouraging her to blossom. I just LOVE her!! My FAVORITE little sister ever!