CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 26, 2008

All's quiet on the Home Front!

This past week has been kind of quiet. Almost strangely quiet! No quilting is getting done, no sewing is getting done. Nothing.

Part of the reason is my lovely daughter (Amanda) has decided she wants to make a quilt for her guestroom bed for Christmas. She is hosting our family get-together this year and wants to have it finished by Dec 20.

Now, you have to know that she has never sewed much of anything before. Earlier this year she and I made a Roman shade for her living room French door, but we both have to admit, I did much more of the work than I had intended to do!

She decided to go for it and called me about three times while she was shopping for the fabric, even sent me a picture of some of the fabric she was thinking of purchasing.

I have been over to her house twice now to help her with the mechanics of piecing the quilt. And, yes, I am making her do all the work! I showed her how to cut the strips and then turned it over to her. I showed her how to press the sewn together strips and then turned it over to her. I showed her how to cut the sewn together strips apart with the rotary cutter and then turned it over to her, and yes, you guessed it I showed her how to sew together the basic 4-patch block and turned it over to her to sew them together.

She is using a very basic pattern that we kind of made up as we went along. A basic 4 patch with alternating fussy cut patches of either a Santa or Snowman print. She is using a Christmas Tree stripe as a sashing between rows. I think it will be kind of cute when finished.

I know I could have made it much faster, but I really want her to feel the excitement of watching your hand work become an actual quilt. I can honestly say it has worked! She has been bitten by the quilting bug! She has done all the fussy cutting without me being there and has sent me another picture of the 'quilt' with the 4-patch and fussy cut patches laid out together with the sashing in between.

So, why am I using Amanda as my excuse to not get any of my own quilting done for the holidays? Well, it seems like a reasonable excuse to me! Seriously, my quilting/sewing time is severely limited, and each time I have planned on getting something done, someone has needed me to be something else for them, something like wife or mother or teacher or grandma!

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT complaining. I find it very exciting that Amanda is getting interested in quilting, and I love being needed by my family. I just feel I need to justify not having anything new to post on here!

Keep Quilting!

Nini

No comments: