CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 26, 2008

Damien's High Adventure




Yes, it was a mother's worst nightmare! Seeing her child in a dangerous situation and not being able to do anything except cry!


Yesterday afternoon, we had about 10 minutes before we were to leave for Sunday night services at church. The kids wanted to go outside and play, so we told them not to get dirty and just for a few minutes...


At 5:30, I called to the kids to come in, and we could not find Damien! I could hear him answering me and calling to me, but could not see him. He kept telling me he was in the tree, but I didn't see him...until I looked up...way up! He was over 30 feet in the air!!!


I sent his sister in to get Dad and told Damien to stay very still. Damien's response was that he could see everything up there...and there was a building that wasn't a house and wanted to know what it was. To punctuate his question, he pointed behind him to make sure I knew where the building was. Doing so, he let go of the trunk.


Earlier in the day we had went to the new Kroger in Loganville. We were having a baby shower at church after services for John and Susan and needed to take some finger foods. While there, a 'nice' lady gave the kids each a helium filled balloon. Damien had taken his outside and it had flown the coop. He decided to climb the tree, because it was the biggest thing in the backyard, to get his balloon. Unfortunately, the balloon blew around in the wind, so he couldn't get it...but as he said, God had the balloon and He would give it back to Damien.


Rex called our son Shawn to come over and see if he could climb up and help Damien down, but the branches and leaves were too thick, he could only get up about 10 feet. While Shawn was climbing up, the top of the tree swayed a bit and Damien got a little scared for the first time (didn't last very long) so Rex decided to call the fire department. While he told them no lights and sirens, they did indeed turn on the sirens, so Damien was able to hear them as they arrived.


Once the Fire department arrived and started setting up, I was able to breathe for the first time, and managed to think to get the camera and snap a couple of pictures. Strangely, Damien said the scariest time was coming down the ladder. He was afraid he would fall through the rungs of the ladder.


My sincere thanks to that brave young man that rescued Damien!


I think I will now call Damien's doctor and suggest that instead of changing Damien's meds for a fifth time in one month, that maybe it is time for ME to have some drugs for my nerves!!!


Have a great Memorial Day!

No comments: