CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The decision to Home School

This morning I am feeling a thousand times better about our decision to home school (not that I was feeling bad about it before!).

Last time we home schooled Mr D, I had to go over one day's worth of lessons for a whole week before I felt he was 'getting' it.  Now, we are able to do one to two days worth of work in each subject each day!  Sometimes I have to MAKE him stop!  He is now wanting for us to read Harry Potter.  I've decided that if he is showing an interest in the book we have to do it!  So, starting today we will be attempting to read Harry Potter.  (well, I will be reading, he will be listening!)

Reading and math are still the subjects that I worry about.  He is still a non-reader, and he can now add using a number line, he loves to count out loud, and he has taken to counting to 100 as a way to occupy himself in the car.  I'm trying hard not to push him, but yet keep him challenged.

We know that these two subjects will probably always be a struggle for him, just because of the way the brain injury affected him.  We are hoping that continued exposure to math and reading will help him start to absorb just a bit more of it.  He has always loved books, and has loved being read to since he was a baby.

Yesterday his doctor told me she thinks there is no question that the decision to home school was the best one for him.  I have seen no major meltdowns since the beginning of summer.  The only ones I have heard about was in information coming from his 'teacher' in public school.  (and those generally came as a result from having sugar)  I see when he is getting frustrated, and we talk about it and give options for how to handle his feelings.  We have verbal cues for when we are in public and he is working through these issues without incidents.

If only the public school could use those simple techniques in the classroom.  I mean, she only had seven students and a para pro!  How hard could it have been?  No, her solution was to lock him in a closet and tell me it was for his protection.

A n y w a y !  We are really enjoying the time together as we home school as well as the flexibility we now have.  Some days, Mr D likes to sleep in late...to at lest 6:30! And some days he likes to get up with Sissy at 5.  Some days he needs a nap in the middle, and some days he pushes through wanting to get finished before the clock has a certain 'time' on it (kinda like a  race against the clock!  LOL).  Some days we have therapy appointments, and some days we stay in our jammies all day.    Some days we have 'class' at the grocery store (sorting, counting, reading labels) and some days we bake cookies.

Those that know me, know I had serious reservations about letting him go back to public school.  I only agreed to a month as a trial.  But, he was enjoying it so much I gave in.  Then, when things started to go bad, I let it go on way too long because he wanted to stay there.  I am so extremely happy with my decision to go back to home school.


....now, if I can just find a good name for out little school...

No comments: