CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

IEP mess

Since Mr D's IEP meeting back in October, I really didn't look at the ACTUAL paperwork.  I mean we talked about all the things he needed, and were all in agreement on what should be done.  In fact his teacher was upset that the HWT was agreed upon by the OT that was in attendance.  The subject of the HWT lasted for almost half of the 3 plus hour meeting.

So, now that she is basically refusing to use the HWT method, I read through the IEP for the first time.  It does NOT mention HWT to be used in the classroom, only that they should use 'block lettering'. In fact, a lot of what we discussed was not in the final written IEP.

This is very upsetting.  I assumed that since there was so much discussion on the subject of what type of handwriting was to be used, and the various ways it could be accomplished, that something about it would be included in the final paper.

I have learned some important lessons.  Read each and every word and compare it to my notes, prior to signing it.  Never assume that the school is out for the best interests of the child, and never think ...not even for a second...that if things are going smoothly at school, that the first two things won't come back to bite you in the behind.

On our next IEP I will have someone else there with me as well as taping the meeting.  I will not sign it until I have taken it home to read and study.  Once I sign it, it becomes a legal document.  I am so tired of dealing with a school that doesn't really care about the child.  Only about getting the money and making their life easier.

A bit harsh...I think not.


Nini

No comments: