CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 23, 2008

So, how's YOUR week been?

So, how's YOUR week been?

Last Saturday, August 16, was our 31st anniversary! Since money has been tight these last few months, we were just going to stay at home and maybe have a nice dinner some where. Not our usual anniversary trip that we have been doing for the past 10 or 15 years.

Thursday night, hubby calls and tells me he is taking me on a trip and to decide where I wanted to go and get a reservation...he had arranged for Amanda and Korey to babysit the younger ones. Woo Hoo...now where to go?

Keeping in mind our very limited budget and the price of gas, it had to be only a few hours away. Trying all the normal spots we go to I couldn't find anything under $100 a night at the short notice. I had just about decided to just stay at home and go somewhere close around here on Saturday

I lucked out and got a room for $60 at Chattanooga...since we've never been there (only passed through) we thought we would give it a try. We had a GREAT time and found a lot of things we might like to go back for!

I have been busy getting ready for Alyssa's birthday this weekend...well not getting ready for it. Mommy is doing all that...all I have to do is show up!! I have two quilts to get finished. I used her old baby blankets and made a quilt for a 'big girl bed' (sometimes known as a double bed) and used a bit to make a quilt for her baby dolls.

I had a problem coming up with a design for the quilt. Mommy didn't have a specific pattern in mind and just kept telling me to do what I wanted. All I knew for sure is that I wanted to finish it in time for her birthday, but had no ideas. I ended up trying to do a scrappy patch. Nothing special and too light for my tastes. Somehow I ended up with too many of the same fabrics too close together and didn't notice it until it was already on the frame and too later to do anything about it.

(I now have decided to make a quilt out of her outgrown clothes and using either the Paper Doll pattern or a Sunbonnet Sue pattern)

I measured and measured and measured. After I pinned to the frame and started quilting, I didn't like the quilting and ripped it out and started over... well, I'm not happy with the quilting! And when I got to the end I discovered I was short about 6 inches of backing fabric. Went back to get some more fabric only to discover they were out (imagine that !) so I had to go with a different fabric that was on the front of the quilt. When I finally finished and took the quilt off the frame...I FOUND MY MISSING 6 INCHES!!!

Can you say I cried???

Anyway, I attached the binding yesterday (not an easy task with Alyssa running around underfoot!) and after a final wash, have discovered about 10 places where the binding is coming off! So I'll be reattaching the binding before we go to her party this afternoon.

Damien broke his big toe on his left foot on Aug 1, and it has not healed right. So the ortho surgeon put him in a cast up to his knee to give his toe a chance to heal. Hopefully we won't need surgery...but in the meantime he is using the cast as a weapon! Very dangerous to be around him when he is mad!

Well, that gives you an idea of how my week has been, and now I'm off to finish Alyssa's quilt. If I ever get it finished I'll post some pics!

Nini

1 comment:

Kristy said...

I would have cried too! Poor nini